Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Picked up The Photo Atlas record and it kicks ass. Just as much as I hoped. Please do yourself a favor and pick this up. Next record to look forward to, is the latest from the Panthers coming at ya on April 10th. Listen to some new cuts now. Good stuff.

So the film festival ended with a bang. Here is the rest of my recap:

Invisible Waves

I think you all know by now, I love this film. First time catching it on the big screen and what an incredible sight. The cast, cinematography and direction are all first rate. Amazing!


Punks Not Dead
Man, what a great doc. So many documentaries cover the early punk movement during the era of Sex Pistols, The Ramones, etc. Been done before. This baby, covers the time after that. I was highly entertained throughout. Very well done film is you are just simply a fan of music. Interesting stuff. It even takes a few swings at recent crap punk. And come on how fun is that!


Paprika
Not too big of a anime fan, but man is this film killer. Very smart and definitely for the thinking man. Animation is creative and impressive.

SeveranceThis started off our final day (and the festivals final day) and man what a start. Highly original horror comedy at its best. This film is probably the most original thing I have seen in a while from the genre. Everyone must see this.

The Ten
So if you have read the last few posts or have known me for a while, you know how big of a fan of The State I am. Anything they do I am there (although sadly I have yet to see the Reno 911 film). I will say it now. This is some funny shit. But, you definitely have to be a fan of The State-esque humor to truly enjoy the entire film. Not unlike David's last directorial venture Wet Hot American Summer , there is stuff in here that is just complete left of center. However, that is what makes it so damn funny, i think. Great stuff. Chiaki even got David to sign her ticket. Yep, we are nerds.

Sway
Last film of the festival (literally). I highly enjoyed it. Quite a downer to go out on but was extremely well done and is the best work I have seen from actor Jo Odagiri.



Over all, it was one hell of a year at this year's CIFF. Can't wait until next year. I am off to watch Big Dreams Little Tokyo, a film I really wanted to catch at the fest but was unable to. The director and his publicist was nice enough to send me a copy however which I will review for the fine pages of KFC Cinema. I also plan on interviewing director David Boyle. I will be back in a few to let you know how it is.

1 comment:

DanielLee said...

God damn son...take my with you to these things!

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts. You know I respect the hell out of your opinion, so please keep it up, festivals or not.

;)