Thursday, June 07, 2007

So I have to admit, I am not a big kung fu flick kinda guy, that title clearly goes to my brother, Kevin. Matter of fact, the man knows everything there is to know about both martial arts and samurai cinema. If I have a question about either genre he is my go to man. I just recently even borrowed the Shaw Brothers classic Come Drink with Me cause I had yet to see what many call one of the greatest films of China. Which brings me to my main discussion. For the record, if you don't already know, the Shaw Brothers were the gods of Chinese film during the 60s through the 80s and even, I believe, produces films today.

Up until now the best possible transfers of the plethora of Shaw Brothers films was their Hong Kong reissues which have spread over the last 5 years or so. Image Distribution in the US have tried releasing close to 20 titles but most reviewers claim that they seem to each have pretty faulty film transfers. Here's hoping The Weinstein Company's very own Dragon Dynasty can truly do the films justice.

Come June 19th, the company plans on releasing the first for of many Shaw Brother films. 36th Chamber of Shaolin, King Boxer (which if my memory serves me correctly, was a huge inspiration for Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle and would assume The Last Dragon too), The One Armed Swordsman, and My Young Auntie. Each film come in exclusive special editions with some brand new spankin' transfers. After just one viewing of this trailer I plan on picking up all four sight unseen (I believe all four played at the Cleveland Cinematheque a few month back but I failed to catch them). Check it out for yourself, below, right now:

I will be back in a day or two with my reaction to Tsai Ming Liang's I Don't Want to Sleep Alone, Knocked Up, and Hostel: Part II (which I plan on seeing this friday).

No comments: