Monday, July 16, 2007

So like three friends have informed me it has been another two weeks since we last spoke. Oops. sorry guys. at least I know I have three readers, right.

Where was I....ah, yes Chiaki and I got back from our trip to new york last weekend. It was swell, really. We love that damn city. Spent alot of time in Koreatown this year, oddly enough. Sippin' on some OB beer (hmm..tasty) and hittin' up the karoke rooms (man am I a horrible singer). We explore new parts of the city this year and attempt to get more reacquainted with it. Didn't get a hold of my new york friends, whom seem to have disowned me but oh well what can you do (Dani, Ali, Chris, Brandon...if your out there I miss you guys).

Chiaki and I fell in love with a play in west greenwich village called In a Dark Dark House with Ron Livingston (of Office Space) and Frederick Weller. Both we amazing specially Weller as was the supporting role played by Louisa Krause. Two hour off-broadway play with three acts last roughly 30-40 minutes each. Weller was in all three acts, Livingston in two, and Krause in one. Powerful stuff. Really showed me that Neil LaBute (the playwrite) still had some amazing stuff left in him. LaBute, if you don't know used to be an amazing screenwriting/directing god. He made to jaw-dropping films (In the Company of Men, Your Friends and Neighbors), an above average semi-Hollywood flick (Nurse Betty), a full blown Hollywood romance (Possession), back to a great little indie (The Shape of Things) and then a Hollywood remake (The Wicker Man). Throughout that time his original plays came to life throughout the New York and London (Bash, The Shape of Things, Fat Pig, Some Girls). Personally the man works best in film when he is able to direct his own material ala 'Shape', 'Men', and 'Neighbors'. Therefore I look forward to future projects hoping for the best.

Also caught two flicks at the New York Asian Film Festival. Nightmare Detective (the latest from Shinya Tsukamoto) and Freesia; both from Japan. We enjoyed both of them. Currently I am in the process of writing a little article about both for KFC Cinema so I will let you all know when that goes up. I will say, while I really dug Nightmare Detective I still believe that Vital is Tsukamoto's stronger picture. Freesia on the other hand surprised the hell out of me. Went in knowing nothing and came out truly satisfied. More on this soon.

Caught Black Snake Moan last night and really liked it alot. As one review stated elsewhere, an admiration or understanding of southern blues music will really help in your satisfaction of the film. Craig Brewer, the writer/director has a love for music. Just as in his debut Hustle & Flow, music plays a crucial role in the film along side the actors.

Well, I suppose I am off for now. I forget what else I wanted to talk about. I swear I will try to be back in a day or two with the usual sass. Also a review or two will be in order at next post. promise.

1 comment:

DanielLee said...

Great to see you back safely. I look forward to reading your thoughts on Nightmare Detective and Freesia, so hop to!

I wasn't interested in Black Snake Moan, but maybe i'll give it a shot.

:)