Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Finally the time has come. I squeezed in my last film I really wanted to catch from last year. Yes, there were a handful of films I would have liked to see before I made my list but lets face it - it is now February 5th and a Best of 2007 is long overdue.

I am going to start things off this year with the 'just missed' list. Those films I loved this year but just didn't quite make my Top 10. Films like Ratatouille, Grindhouse, Exiled, The Ten, Fay Grim, I Don't Want to Sleep Alone, Diggers, and The Aura were just a pleasure to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed the blockbuster Transformers too which is something I really wasn't expecting. Nothing, however, touched a nerve like these 10 films. So lets cut to the chase.


10. The Lives of Others
What can be said about this film, that I haven't stated already. Fantastic film.




9. Eastern Promises
I really wasn't a fan of David Cronenberg's early horror films but Eastern Promises and A History of Violence honestly changed all that. More of a slow burn piece than A History of Violence but equally as riveting. Viggo and Naomi are stellar throughout.




8. Invisible Waves
I really love this film. From the same crew that made the insanely memorable Last Life in the Universe. I actually saw the film orginially in 2006 but was able to catch it theatrcially at the Cleveland International Film Festival last year. Christopher Doyle's cinematography is graceful, Pen-Ek Ratanaruang's direction perfect, and Tadanobu Asano's actiing is as elegant as ever.




7. Dans Paris
Romain Duris and Louis Garrel are a true pleasure to watch. I just loved the French New Wave feel it had going for it. I am dying to see director Christophe Honore's musical follow up film, Les Chansons d'amour.




6. Big Bang Love, Juvenille A
Takashi Miike's experimental masterpiece. Hands down one of his best films, if not the best. An important film in contemporary cinema.




5. The Darjeeling Limited
Poor Wes Anderson. Chiaki and I thought this thing was darling. The critics thought otherwise. I am really looking forward to watching this one again once it hits dvd. Chiaki wanted to see it again in theaters and she never wants to see things twice theatrcially. I found it to be his best work since Rushmore. Oh and by the way Adrien Brody is so so Wes Anderson material.




4. Transylvania
Well, you already recently heard my rant on this film earlier so I won't repeat myself. I love everything about this film. Asia Argento most impressive performance.




3. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
This was the reason I had to wait for my list until now. I wanted to fit it in because I waited so long for this picture. Glad I did. The thing is a treasure to watch. I loved every little thing about it. Pitt, Rockwell, Affleck, Parker. Andrew Dominik could do no wrong with the film. Deakin's camerawork is just a beaut. Alot of complaints about the film has stated that it is just a bit too long. I beg to differ. Usually if a film has the feeling of being too long it is because the ending is a little too drawn out. However, with The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, the end seems like the final chapter of the story and honestly needed to be told. Matter of fact I love the ending.


Speaking of endings, my top two films have also been criticized by moviegoers because of their final scenes. I myself thought both had perfect and well-needed endings.


2. No Country for Old Men
What can you say about this film that hasn't already been said. Quite possibly the best thing that the Coen Brothers have ever done. Their most serious work since Miller's Crossing. May even be my favorite of the Coens right next to Barton Fink and The Big Lebowski but it is in a whole other league than those two pictures. I really think Josh Brolin should have been recognized for his work here. Amazing.




1. There Will Be Blood
Did you really think anything less. Man is this one a whopper. Nothing like anything PTA has ever attempted. This thing is a powerhouse. All the obvious influences are oh so true. Yes, it looks like early Malick. Yes, it seems like a staple of 70's American Cinema. And Yes, dammit, Daniel Day-Lewis delivers an iconic performance. Love Love Love this film. I just love how it takes awhile to seep into your brain. Not one person I know walked out of this film and could form an immediate opinion. That is what makes this so brilliant. I will be a bit sadden if PTA doesn't take home the Oscar for directing this puppy.



2 comments:

Nate said...

Strangely, I'm just now putting up my list as well. I'm sure you won't agree on some, in fact your #1 does not make an appearance on my list. While I really liked "There Will Be Blood" and I don't disagree with you putting it on top, I thought it was a spectacular piece of filmmaking; I just didn't love it.

Nate said...

I put my list up over at my myspace. Since I only have 1 comic related movie on the list, I thought I shouldn't post it on my blogspot.