Sunday, March 30, 2008

18 days. There is no excuse really. Except as always I have been busy. But still no excuse. So the Cleveland International Film Festival has been over for the last two weeks now and over all it was a good time. One dud out of the bunch is not so bad, right.

Here's a breakdown, my friends, this time I by order of goodness.

Ben XI found this film to be fantastic. Highly original and probably a film that will survive til my Best of 2008 list. I was actually quite honestly blown away by this film. It kind hit me from left field.


Gone With the WomanThis thing is a charmer. Definitely my bonafide sleeper from the fest. I love the lead, who started in last year's CIFF film The Bothersome Man and lets face it I am a sucker for romantic comedies especially something this quirky.


Big Man JapanTalk about a smart and original film. I think this film and its oddness (in both the humor and subtle stabs at social commentary) will set people off a bit which is rather unfortunate. A admiration for what the film is a satire of is also welcome to truly 'get' the film (i.e Japanese popular culture ala Ultraman, Godzilla, etc).


JellyfishAs I stated two weeks ago, I really enjoyed this flick. Nuff said.


The TrapI found this thriller to be totally intriguing from start to finish. Others didn't. Their loss.


OtisI completely over the top cheeseball horror comedy which I must say I thoroughly enjoyed.


Mongol I am not a historical epic person but I really enjoyed this flick. Actor Tadanobu Asano definitely helped with my acceptance of the film.


FlashpointEntertaining martial arts film which is completely savored by the last half hour.


Art of Negative Thinking
Really didn't get this one I guess. Overhyped by the majority of the attendees I found the film to be more awkward than funny. Maybe I didn't get it. Oh Well.


So overall. I great time was had. I also caught Love Songs recently (which screened at the festival but unfortunately was missed due to the snowstorm) . But more on that on my next post and of course lots lots more. Trust me this time. it won't be 18 days from now.

No comments: