Thursday, January 12, 2006

So Chiaki and I just got back from seeing a film at the Cleveland Cinematheque. For starters, if you live in or near North-Eastern Ohio this is the place to go. It's a great place for independent films, foreign films or even some great classics. Granted when I lived in California, I had the all-mighty Egyptian Theatre home of the American Cinematheque, but for the midwest the Cleveland Cinematheque is a great substitute. In the next few weeks they are playing one of Bernardo Bertolucci first films The Conformist which I am looking forward to see along with another film I am dying to see Michelangelo Antonioni's The Passenger. In February, they are playing a handful of Sergio Leone films including one of my favorite films of all-time, Once Upon a Time in the West. You can check out their schedule for January and February on their website located at www.cia.edu/cinematheque.

So what did we catch tonight you ask?

Kamikaze Girls!

What a great film! A great Japanese comedy from 2004 about an unlikely friendship among to very different girls. At times it had us almost laughing on the floor. I never expected this film to be that good. I just figured we would check it out since it was playing at the Cinematheque and they usually play some really good films. Man, was I wrong. Kamikaze Girls is really out there, but in a good way. Their are even some great animated sequence that reminding me of the Invader Zim animation. The great thing is that it was just released on dvd here in the states this past tuesday, so do yourself a favor and go buy it or even rent it. I am sure Hollywood Video has it since they seem to be the only cultural friendly video chain out there. If you don't want to take my word for it, at least check out the website at www.kamikazegirls.net where you can view the trailer.

Alright I am out for now. More posts soon...

No comments: