Sunday, January 15, 2006

So I finally got around to watching Sha Po Lang (SPL) tonight. From what I have read about this film, from people who seen it, is that it is more than a re-emergence of great filmmaking out of Hong Kong. Probably for the last 10 years , fans along with critics have said film is dead in Hong Kong. The criticism of SPL has been so positive about this film that some even say that it may be one of the best films to ever come out of Hong Kong. So your wondering what I thought of it, huh.



Is it one of the best films ever to come out of Hong Kong? No. Is it one of the best to come from them in the last decade? Hell yeah! I am sure the great people over at Twitch will argue with me, but I have to admit, it is not as great as Infernal Affairs. To me that film is untouchable. But man is SPL entertaining! And Donnie Yen. Wow, this is by far his best work as both an actor and martial artist. When you watch Donnie Yen in this film you immediately think of how damn cool Chow Yun-Fat always looks on film. SPL does indeed live up to alot of the hype surrounding it. Is it flawed? Yeah...slightly. However, this is a film that really has to be seen. I am glad it is getting a North American release sometime soon. Still before going into it, don't aim for the heavens, you may slightly be disappointed. If you go in with a free mind and a love for great film, you will love it.

So I also got my hands on a copy of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. I am inviting some friends over tomorrow for the ceremonial first screening of the film on my nice little 37 inch Plasma Widescreen TV. I know you guys are jealous. I am dying of anticipation. Talk about hype, man. I hope I will not be disappointed.

My reaction to the film will come tomorrow. Until then...

No comments: