Thursday, February 02, 2006

So everyone is probably wondering what I thought of the Independent Spirit Awards...er..Academy Award nominations. There okay, I guess. I personally think its great that their our a lot of independent films nominated this year. Look at the Best Picture noms. 4 of the 5 films are from independent branches of bigger studios: Focus, Warner Independent, Sony Classics, Lions Gate. The one film in the best picture category that is distributed by a major studio, Munich, I wouldn't even go as far to say it is mainstream. Yeah it was shot for 75 million dollars, but that is pocket change for Spielberg and it doesn't even have a mainstream actor in it. Trust me, thats Spielberg being indie. So in that respected I was excited. But there are always disappointments.

Munich and Constant Gardener should have gotten more. I am surprised that Munich got the top two nods. It also deservered at least Best Actor and Best Cinematography (don't even get me started on this category, which left out so many good cinematographers this year). On the other hand, Constant Gardener got cheated Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Cinematography.

So what do I think will win the big awards this year?

Philip Seymour Hoffman for Best Actor. He deserves it most from the list. He truly transformed in that role.

Reese Witherspoon for Best Actress. I think it is about time for people to take her serious. I haven't seen this performance yet but I head she embodies the role with ease.

Paul Giamatti for Best Supporting Actor. I haven't seen this film yet either but the man is amazing in everything he does.

Rachel Weisz for Best Supporting Actress. By far the best performance by an actress I have seen in several years. Man, is she stunning in this film. Such an amazing performance. Catherine Keener is also up for this award, who I think is the most talented actress working in film today. However, Rachel Weisz was the performance that blew me away last year.

Ang Lee for Best Director. As much as I want Spielberg to when this, I think it is definitely the underdog. I think Ang Lee pretty much as it in the bag. I have yet to see Brokeback Mountain, but I am sure it is a beautiful.

Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture. I can't see it not winning. Once again I think Munich was the film of the year but it is the dark horse in this category.

So thats that. I am sure my decision will change was the days go by. As I do every year I am going to have a Oscar pool going on among friends and family so I will have to make a final decision as the time grows near. Their are still some films I want to catch before then such as Crash, Hustle & Flow, and Brokeback Mountain. I think we might even check out the latter tomorrow. I will be back to give a full report afterwards.

No comments: