Saturday, February 04, 2006

Caught Brokeback Mountain over the weekend. Its a beautiful film. I think everyone should see it. Finally there was one film that the Academy got right for the Best Cinematography nominations. The film is one of the most breathtakingly shot films of last year. I definitely see Ang Lee winning for Best Director, however Best Picture will be very ballsy, I think. I mean this isn't the type of film the Academy votes for. Its not safe. The Academy likes to be safe. Did Tom Cruise win for Magnolia years ago? Of course not, instead they chose the more conventional performance of Michael Caine in Cider House Rules. that's just the way they are. Look at Russell Crowe. Did he win for his amazing yet not mainstream performance in The Insider? No, he won for the box office hit Gladiator. So we will see I guess. I still think Munich should take the top awards but I don't think it has a snowball in hell chance. So I will settle for Brokeback Mountain instead.

So being on a Pam Grier kick recently, I popped in Jackie Brown today. What a underrated film. I mean look what it is up against. You have the breakthrough first film, Reservoir Dogs. The mainstream hit Pulp Fiction, which made Tarantino a household name. I mean really how do you follow that film. I don't think the mainstream audience was read for an homage to Blaxploitation films. To make matters worse he followed it up with the epic that is Kill Bill. Of course the film is going to get lost. Its a shame. I will admit I was a little shaken the first time I saw it. I was a bit disappointed but also a bit curious how it would be on repeat viewings. That is really what Jackie Brown needs, several viewings. It gets better the more you watch it. It really does.

So I am off. I think I will throw in Coffy to keep in the spirit as we dose off to sleep.

No comments: