Friday, February 10, 2006

So I guess I should catch up on a few films I have seen over the last few days. For starters I forgot to report about our viewing of Bernardo Bertolucci's The Conformist. Definitely a film you have to view a few times to fully understand. Also it is deeply in line with the times in Italy during the late 30's, therefore some of the situations may be confusing to those no familiar during the time and era. The film deals strongly with fascism and how it drove people to do unthinkable things. So what did I think of it. While I said previously that I was confused at times, I still thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. One of the main reasons was the way Bertolucci and his cinematographer shot the film. Man, this is one of the most beautifully and creatively shot films I have ever seen. I mean, in my mind, the two best cinematographers of all time are Raoul Coutard and Christopher Doyle. Those films not shot by Coutard and Doyle that I find breathtaking include Blow-up, Road to Perdition, What Time is it There? and A Very Long Engagement. I can proudly add The Conformist to that list.

I finally sat down to watch my copy of Hong Sang Soo's Woman is the Future of Man. Wasn't at all what I thought it would be but I really liked it (on the other hand, Chiaki hated it). Most reviews compare it Hong Sang Soo to Michelangelo Antonioni but to me his style reminded my a lot of Neil Labute. I say this because this film of his at least was very frank when it came to the subject of sex. Matter of fact, I found it to shadow Labute's Your Friends & Neighbors more than anything. But this is only my first Hong Sang Soo film so the more I see maybe the more Antonioni will shine out. I still have his first film to watch The Day a Pig Fell Into the Well his first film, which I also have on dvd. I am really looking forward to possibly catching another one of his films before we catch Tale of Cinema which will be introduced by none other than Hong Sang Soo himself. Pretty pumped!

We just got done watching a Japanese film called Tony Takitani. Its a very short yet poetic film. Excellent film, really. Do yourself a favor and Netflix it. So I haven't lived up to my promise I first started posting. That promise was to introduce a film, filmmaker, or actor that a lot of people may not have ever heard of but should.

Today's film is...

Man, do I absolutely just love this film. Saw it at the Cleveland Cinematheque 4 or 5 years ago and just fell in love with it. It is a revelation to see in the theater. The cinematography is so still yet set up so amazingly. Its hard to explain but it is some of the most complex shots you will ever see. Tsai Ming-Liang, the director, sets each shot so originally that action is going on in all corners of the picture. Like I said it is difficult to explain so you will just have to see it to really understand what I am talking about. I will warn you though Ming-Liang films move at a snail pace. If you are looking for a big fast movie film that holds your interest throughout with jaw dropping effects, this is not your style. However, if you want to try something different and can stomach a film with static yet astonishing cinematography, you should really check this out. Please do yourself a big favor and give this film a chance!

One last thing, the film which I am most excited about this year, Invisible Waves, finally has a website and, more importantly, a trailer. Check it out.

No comments: