Saturday, March 04, 2006

We got back from Dave Chappelle's Block Party a few hours ago. It was quite an enjoyable hour and a half. If you go in wanted a all Chappelle stand up film your not going to get it. If you go in thinking you will see some crazy visuals from Michel Gondry, your not going to get that either. Matter of fact the only signs of Gondry is maybe the opening credits and his voice throughout. I would have to say their is more concert footage than anything else and man is it great stuff. I mean the music in this film is always the artists I have grown to love over the years as far as hip hop goes. The Roots, Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Erykah Badu, Kayne West. Great Stuff. Even the appearance of The Fugees, who I think were a bit overrated, was pretty entertaining. And don't think their isn't any Chappelle comedy mix in because their is definitely a fair share. I mean come on this man is leader of our generation in comedy. He is the second coming of Richard Pryor in my opinion (ironically he was wearing a Pryor shirt throughout most of the film). It really was a well made film. I would go as far as to say it is a groundbreaking film. Their has never been a film I can remember like this, with a wide release at least. Matter of fact I can't even find a film of the top of my head that is a documentary mix comedy with music.

No comments: