Monday, April 10, 2006

I am trying to avoid that whole "it's been a week and no update" deal that most sites are so great at doing, therefore I will post two days shy of a week. Hey, I care. I really do care.

So I caught a few things since the last post. Of course there was Ice Age 2 on Thursday with Isaac. That was a fun time. The theater was completely empty, just Chiaki, Isaac, and myself. It was great we could talk as much as we wanted and be as loud as we wanted. What more could you ask for. Isaac loved the film, which made me feel good.

Last night we made a trek to the Cinematheque to catch The Spirit of the Beehive, a film out of Spain from the early 70s. It was pretty interesting. Not one of my favorites I ever caught there but not mad by any means. I think I really want to read more about it before rushing to judgment. If you really want to respect a foreign country's cinema and truly understand a filmmaker's vision I really honestly believe that you need to read more about the film and its texture before jumping the gun on critiquing it. Let's just say I liked it but was not blown away. I do have to say that the girl that played the lead actress, who had to be no older than 6 or 7 was absolutely amazing. I have never see a better child actor. Imagine Natalie Portman excellence at 12 and kick it back a few years and you will have this quality of work. Nuff said.

Chiaki and I finally sat down to watch the unaired episode of Showtime's original series Masters of Horror. Directed by Miike Takashi, Imprint was definitely the most f'd up of the whole bunch. While the lead actor, Billy Drago, was atrocious, the Japanese cast (which all spoke English), were just fine. The visuals were not only gorgeous (the cinematography was beautiful) but also pretty damn brutal. Miike definitely pulled no punches on this episode and I found it to be a great closer for the first season of the medicore season. It is right up there with the John Carpenter episode Cigarette Burns which I absolutely loved.

On one final note I would like to recommend a great book that I got from the library a few weeks ago. Entitled 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, It starts with A Trip to the Moon from 1902 and goes from year to year picking a dozen or so films from each year. The films come from all over the world and are really some great picks, in my opinion. There are so many films in this book that I have never heard that I am dying to see now. If you want to have a great introduction to world cinema or just want to discover a lot of great films from all over please try to find this book at your local library. You will not regret it.

No comments: