Tuesday, April 18, 2006

So caught a few films over the last couple days. Some great films. Actually. Both a bit on the bizarre side but equally amazing.

The first is a film I have been highly anticipating, Takeshis' the latest from Japan's Takeshi Kitano. And man is it a doozy. For starts, I will tell you I won't recommend this unless you a big fan of Kitano's work. Its a pretty trippy film. A lot of inside humor with reference to Japanese culture and Kitano's previous work. I also say a big Kitano fan because it is mainly a comedy. Big fans of Kitano know that he is not only known for his yakuza films but even more in Japan as a comedian. American audiences don't often see this side of him. It really wouldn't do the film justice for me to describe it because that would simply be damn bear impossible. Let me just say the film is as if you could ramble through the dreams of one's self and bounce a dream of a dream. The more one dreams the more it seems like a reality. I know it makes no sense what so ever. Its not really supposed to. Kitano has said that he wants to make a film that confuses people, a film where people have a lot of questions and not a lot of answers. I think he has succeeded on all levels. If you need a solid explanation to everything you watch then this film is most definitely not for you. On the other hand, if you really, honestly, want to see what is in the mind of one of Japan's greatest madmen then please do yourself a favor and check it out.

On the flipside, Chiaki and I watched Me and You and Everyone I Know last night. Wow, I love this film. Yet another film that I should have seen last year but didn't. I really need to make sure I don't miss all the greats this year. Anyways, the film really impressed me. I have had it on my Netflix list for quite some time but didn't move it to the top until both my friends Jason and Aaron highly recommended it. And I am glad I did. Don't get me wrong, both Miranda July (you also directed and wrote the film) and John Hawkes both impressed me, but the most powerful performance, in my opinion were the three kids. It is so hard to find children that can act these days. It always used to be a joke in the film industry that the death of your career lied in acting with animal or kids. Man, not in the case of this film. They were spectacular. Miranda July should also be recognized for dealing with the subject matter of adolescent sexuality so professionally tasteful. I am really sickened by and have a strong dislike for Todd Solondz, who tends to use this subject as shock value and usually shows it in a very non professional and disgusting matter. Not the case with July. To tell you the truth, I wish the film was longer. I wanted to learn more about these characters. Every single one of them. I highly recommend this film to everyone who is in the mood for a truly great independent film.

Poop back and forth forever! (just watch the damn film...please!)

No comments: