Sunday, April 23, 2006

There I go again. Nearly a week since my last post. I whole hearted apologize.

It has been a good week.

For starters, I got in contact with a old friend I haven't talked to in quite a long time. My good friend, Bo, who if anyone met and talked to would sound like a long lost brother of mine. Our music, film, and literature similarities are rather scary. At least, they used to be. I can't wait to catch up with him. He is of at film school at Columbia University in New York right now getting his Masters (that lucky bastard) but is going to be home for the summer. Should be a good time.

Chiaki and I managed to catch a great French New Wave film over the weekend at our normal stumping ground, the Cinematheque, entitled Classe Tous Risques. Man, what a excellent film. Definitely more along the lines of a Jean Pierre Melville film than one of Jean Luc Godard, not that this is a problem. Part of that whole suave gangster film that countless directors have ripped off or pay tribute to (depending on the director or film) over the last four decades. Melville was definitely the king of the genre but I must admit that Claude Sautet did a stellar job with this film. I am not going to dive into a full review. You guys know that is not my thing. I will just simply say that it is one hell of a film. Its insane what has come out of France since the early 60s. I mean with Godard, Truffaut, Melville, Malle just name some of the great known legends. Its truly amazing if you think about. An they just keep on going with the likes of Jean-Pierre Jeunet who could stand his ground among the greats of yesteryear.

I must also give props to a good friend of mine, Jason Henry, who was also in attendance for the Classe Tous Risques screening. Rarely do I admit that someone knows more than I about a topic in film, especially something I admire as dearly as Jean Luc Godard, but Jason has corrected me not once but twice on different occasions (one of which was a comment I made during the screening) about Godard's films. For that Jason, I salute you. I am hardly wrong about something involving film but when I am, its great to have someone to correct me that has as vast knowledge about the subject as I do.

There I admitted it. Every once in a blue moon I may be off on a fact or two. It doesn't happen very often. But does occur. No ones perfect, right.

Finally, don't forget that April 25th is a great day for dvd releases. The Passenger and Elevator to the Gallows are a given for me with a possible purchase of Scorpion: Grudge Song or Fists in the Pocket, depending on which one I can find and how it will fit into my budget.

No comments: