Tuesday, March 06, 2007


So I caught Inland Empire this week and at first I didn't even know what to think of it. My friend Aaron and I were just kind of awe struck by the film that we just couldn't simply form an opinion. So to be fear to Lynch (who oddly enough I am not a huge fan of, although I found Mulholland Drive to be riveting) I decided to read reviews both good and bad to form a final opinion. The negative reviews were of no help and we on the same page of bewilderment as I was after the viewing. Then I turned to the positive reviews. While they themselves were lost as far as analysing or explaining any type of plot, they did bring a few things to mind that I found very true of the film.

For starters, Laura Dern nothing short of brilliant in this film. She takes on the complications of three roles with ease. It's really something I overlooked when reminiscing after the film. Most actress when thrown into such chaos honestly could not come out alive. Dern, however, always held your attention.

Another great thing I realized after reading some positivity of the film was a statement made by a writer of Film Threat, which definitely sums up the experiment known as Inland Empire perfectly and to a 'T' :

"While I did enjoy the ride I took with the film, after the lights came up I was just thrilled Lynch was allowed to create such a journey for us to go on. Imagine what the cinema world would be like if more great directors threw caution to the wind and followed their artistic vision. It’s a world I’d like to see and I hope Lynch continues to pave the way."

I mean, it doesn't get much better than that. To tell you the truth, the film is a mess. But, its supposed to be. It's like a nightmare or a dream. It should be applauded for what Lynch got away with by making this film. And for these two reasons, I highly recommend this film. Not to any ol' Joe Schmoe, but to all those honest-to-god film fans. I do recommend that you let go when watch the film. Don't expect anything and do judge the film on the merit of it's story. Its much more than that for the world of film, its more of a true experiment in filmmaking. A trip everyone who loves film, and I mean really honestly loves film and its many faces, should take.

No comments: