Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Above is two reasons why Death Proof, the Tarantino half of Grindhouse, works so damn well. Don't get me wrong, Rodriguez's Planet Terror is one hell of a ride too. I just a kind of a bummer that alot of people didn't quite full appreciate Death Proof. Planet Terror was so fast paced and over abundantly violent that by the time Tarantino came around to add alittle bit of character development, people were a bit bored, which is a damn shame really. At least everyone I ask did enjoy Zoe Bell and her scene stealing performance in the last 20 minutes of the film. I, myself, was also deeply impressed with Mr. Kurt Russell, who I have always been a big fan of. I loved him in this film. There has been alot of talk in the last few days about it's poor box office and the possibility of splitting the two films up, like what is planned for overseas. Part of me thinks that is a bad idea but the other half would love to see Tarantino's longer cut Death Proof sooner than later. After all he has already mentioned several weeks ago that he plans to play a longer edit of his film at Cannes this May and I truly would love to see what else he has to offer.

So I forgot to mention I picked up handful of things lately. For 10 bucks a week or so ago I got Sam Peckinpah's The Ballad of Cable Hogue starring the one and only Jason Robards and Jonathan Glazer's Sexy Beast for 10 bucks at a local video store. pretty damn cool for 5 bucks a piece. I also picked up the Spanish film The Sea Inside (2004 Academy Award winner for Best Foreign Language Film) for three bucks. I am pretty pumped. The only one out of the bunch I have seen is Sexy Beast (which I am a big fan of, as you all know). I also have gotten some films recently for review here or there. I will fill you in on that a little bit later.

Also picked up the new Panthers record and the latest from Bright Eyes. Both are good but need more listens to get a more better understanding. I really need to listen to the Panthers record more. I only gave it one full listen thus far so it is due for some more lovin'.

Well it is midnight here and I am tired so I will hit the sack. I will be back either tomorrow or Friday with my review of The Bridesmaid, courtesy of the fine folks at First Run Features.

1 comment:

DanielLee said...

i agree that zoe bell was the best part of death proof, but i cannot agree that the film was good.

i challenge you to a duel!