Tuesday, April 17, 2007

As I promised, here is my review of the First Run Features recent release The Bridesmaid.

I will be honest with you all and admit a dirty little secret. I have never seen a Claude Chabrol film. There I said it. Yeah I call myself a film fascist, a big fan of the French New Wave, but was a Chabrol film viewing virgin. Until now.

So what did I think of my first experience with his work - I loved it. Laura Smet is a revelation in this film. I was in awe nearly ever minute she is on screen. But the film has alot more going for it than that. From the opening scene Chabrol had me hook mostly from his introduction of the family and their interactions with one another. He truly knows how to capture the in-and-outs of a relationships and is a pleasure to watch.

The obvious comparison that the director always seems to get thrown in the mix with is how his films often times shadows that of Hitchcock's work. However, in my opinion (at least from this particular fil,), I found Chabrol to be a bit more subtle in both style and form with this successful stab at articulately creating a very quiet yet inspiring thriller which at first glance seems more like a story of romance and how far it can take you.

This film should not be missed. Many directors that have been around this long (he has been making films for nearly 40 years) often times lose their touch in the later stages of their career but that doesn't seem to be a problem with Chabrol. If his latter films are this impressive I can't wait to get my hands on the films he created at his peak.

As always, I am not big on explaining plot details in hopes you are surprised when it seems to head in a different direction. Come on now, doesnt everyone hate to be the guy that ruins the film for everyone. But if you must here is the synopsis from First Run Features, I believe it does the film justice:

"It's love at first sight when bridesmaid Senta falls into the life of handsome young Philippe at the wedding of his younger sister. As their passion for one another intensifies, Philippe slowly discovers that Senta is shrouded in mystery. When one day she asks Philippe to perform a terrible deed as proof of his love for her, Philippe must come to terms with who his lover might really be."

So what I am trying to say is this. Go out and by this damn movie. Actually if you are lazy just click here and pick it up at Amazon. Nuff said.

On with the rest of my rants.

At this time I must take the time to give a shout out to my boy Daniel Lee who was kind enough to put some links to clips of the classic The Monster Squad on his blogspot. It really brings back from memories. These clips forced me to dig deeper and this is what I found:

- the dvd is scheduled for October 2007 as a 20th Anniversary edition
- a cast and crew commentary
- a bunch of extras such as dailies of deleted scenes (tentative), documentary footage of events this year and on-camera interviews with cast members as well as director/writer Fred Dekker.

All this from the star himself, Andre Gower, who has more news poster at his official site. Check it out.

So the Cannes Film Festival schedule has been released and their is some cool stuff in competition this year. For starters, the English language debut of Wong Kar Wai, My Blueberry Nights, will open the fest, also of interest is Secret Sunshine (from the director of Oasis), Kim Ki-duk's latest Breath, the Christopher Doyle lensed Paranoid Park from Gus Van Sant, the longer cut of Death Proof, along with new films from the Coen Brothers and Bela Tarr. Michael Moore latest medical doc Sicko is playing out of competition and so is Olivier Assayas's Boarding Gate starring the always lovely and amazing Asia Argento. All in all good stuff. Can't wait for the festivities with many clips and information about the films constantly popping up via the the official Cannes Film Festival website. Also can't wait to hear more about the films I know zero about, cause who know one may be the best film of the year. I love me some surprises.

Lastly, I am ecstatic for two reasons: next month there will be a Asian film fest in Pittsburgh, PA entitled Silk Screen Film Festival which is soon to be a favorite of mine and on June 1st and 2nd John Ewing will be screening the latest film from Tsai Ming Liang, I Don't Want to Sleep Alone, at his wonderful Cleveland Cinematheque. The anticipation is killing me.

I will be back in a few days with the film schedule for the Silk Screen festival (it has yet to be released) and some more exciting goodness.