Friday, November 30, 2007

So as I write this I am missing the last performance I would ever see of Planes Mistaken For Stars, one of my favorite bands. It's a shame they will be no more. Gared, the lead singer, luckily has two other projects going on right now. One is called Hexes, which apparently a continuation of the direction PMFS was headed for (and also contains two PMFS band members) and the other is Hawks and Doves, an obvious homage to the Neil Young album title, and is I am assuming a much mellower Gared like that of the amazing last track, Penitence, from the Planes last record Mercy. Here's hope some of each projects tunes will hit the net in the not so distant future.

So on to film talk. I caught the latest from the Coen Brothers, No Country for Old Men, the other day and can safely say it will be fighting for the number one spot on my best of 2007 list. Unfortunately this list may not be completed until February 5th. Why you ask? Why that is the first time I will more than likely be able to catch my much hyped The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford. Yes, my dumb ass missed my chance to catch the flick around and now much wait for hit dvd.

In the next few weeks I hope to make a trip or two both Columbus and Cleveland to catch some flicks. What films, you say? Well, I hope to catch La Chinoise and Pierrot Le Fou both by Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Doulos, and Michelangelo Antonioni's Zabriskie Point. I own both of the Godard flicks and love them but how can you really pass up his flicks on the big screen. The other two films I have been dying to see for a long time. If nothing else I will make an effort to catch Zabriskie Point because I have passed it up about three time now and a widescreen copy on dvd is nearly non-existent (the film has never been released in the States on disc and only widescreen elsewhere).

No comments: