Saturday, November 17, 2007

So I guess the unthinkable happened. Well, okay lets not be so drastic. I will just come out and say it. I was too big on the new Takeshi Kitano film, Glory to the Filmmaker!. It's a shame really, cause I really loved his last 3 films, which have been very hit or miss with most people. Come to think of it there has been only one other Kitano film I was extremely disappointed with and that was his stab at American film, Brother. I love for his films started where most people's admiration had with his film Sonatine, which was released in Japan in in '93, but not until '98 in the US, courtesy of Quentin Tarantino defunct distribution label Rolling Thunder Pictures. Immediately after watching and loving the film ,I went on a search for his previous film and one of his most well known pictures, Hana-Bi also known as Fireworks. My personal favorite lies in his more quieter piece, Kikujiro, but I still had alot of love for is insanely abstract Takeshis'.

The latest, however, I just didn't get. The first half was pure Kitano genius to me. He represented a film full of filmmaking homages to some of the true greats of Japanese cinema and still managed to outdo himself. However, the second half just simply didn't seem to go nowhere. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance though, I just really which the rest of the film continued with the pattern he led it with. He instead ops for his comedy roots which don't always come out on the funny side. Oh, well. You win some you lose some, I guess. Nonetheless, I will be ready for what else he has in store in the future. What can I say, I love the guy.

No comments: