Thursday, March 06, 2008

I could write a novel on how brilliant IFC Films is at the moment. I love them to death. First and foremost their film choices are fantastic. I thought last year was insane but this year seems to be even better. Example - Love Songs. The Last Mistress. Paranoid Park. Jar City. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days. Flight of the Red Balloon. Mister Lonely. Three of these films I am extreme excited to see at the film festival this weekend. The others all films I am absolutely dying to see.

Case in point, Mister Lonely which is the latest from Harmony Korine. I know his past work has been oddly appealing to say the least, however, this thing looks like his masterpiece. It looks extremely charming and a beautiful piece. It follows a group of impersonators who all live together at a commune in Scotland. It hits theatres in May in the US and this month in the UK (courtesy of Tartan Films). You can see that Korine has a love for international film with his casting of James Fox (of Performance fame) and Anita Pallenberg (also of Performance and countless other staples of 60s/70s world cinema).

Do yourself a favor and check out the trailer here.

Another great thing about IFC Films is their subdivision IFC First Take with films releasing limited in theatres simultaneously as they appear 'On Demand' through a satellite provider. As I have stated before, my brother has DirectTV and for the last year we have been purchasing films on their for only $6.99. Last night, we watched Paranoid Park, the latest from Gus Van Sant.




The thing is utterly fascinating. The cinematography is a beaut courtesy of my man Christopher Doyle and the film just really worked for me. Gus Van Sant decided on a very non-linear structure and the payoff was completely the right choice. With a linear structure to the plot it would have come off rather boring and unmoving but instead the opposite can be said about the film. A compelling little film from a director that continues to impressive me each and every film (except for the misstep Even Cowgirls Get the Blues years ago...everyone has forgot about that one anyways). When Paranoid Park comes around your way you need to make an effort to see it. It is worth your time and I have a feeling it will stick with me the rest of the year.

Finally IFC has just unveiled yet another subdivision entitled IFC Festival Direct. As far as I can determine through reading several articles is that it is very similar to IFC First Take, however, I believe it is films which may not have a chance to hit theatres and have already made their rounds at film festivals. Jar City is included in the first batch of films which also includes the latest from Ken Loach and Nicolas Roeg. It seems instead of hitting satellite providers such as DirectTV it instead aims for strictly cable providers such as Time Warner and Comcast.

No comments: