Saturday, March 08, 2008

I guess there was some mighty fine films I missed out on from last year. Just got done watching Michael Clayton and found it to be utterly fantastic. George Clooney and Tom Wilkinson were absolutely perfect in the film. I still did not believe Tilda Swinton should have taken home the Oscar (Chiaki would, however, argue that) though she was pretty damn good in it too. I just quite simply have a problem with the Academy awarding a performance which could have not been over 10 or so minutes of the 2 hour film.

Speaking of missing out, the disaster snow of Ohio (we got close to 16 inches...no joke) caused me to miss the first day of the film festival. I missed Flight of the Red Balloon (which I luckily can catch on IFC on Demand in the coming months), What We Do is Secret and Timecrimes. It hurts the most to miss Timecrimes, which was one of my most anticipated films of the festival. Maybe I can swing a deal with Magnolia Pictures, the film's US distributor, and get my hands on a copy in the not so distant future. Sunday brings Jar City, Love Songs, and Jellyfish and probably is the day of the festival I am most excited about. Hopefully the damn snow stops and I can get the ball rolling. As with the last few years expect a report back on the films I caught each day.

So I am sitting down today viewing some flicks (I am pretty much snowed in for the day) and begin to watch Into the Wild. Pretty good flick. It wouldn't necessary make my Top 10 from last year but it was a pretty powerful film nonetheless. Definitely worth a rental. I almost bought the HD DVD and now I am glad I didn't. Not that it would be a bad thing, its just like what my buddy Nate and I was discussing a few days ago. When I asked him if he thinks I should pick it up he replied it could be the best film in the world but would you watch it again. And that's just it. I don't see myself sitting down and watching Into the Wild for a second time. Overall though it is mos def a film everyone should watch at least once. I also plopped in my 3:10 to Yuma Blu-ray to watch the special features alittle bit and I realized I had forgotten to mention something about the film the first time I spoke of it. Three words actually Peter f'n Fonda. I have always been a Peter Fonda fan and it was just great to see him back in a western again. What a trip. The man is a legend.

So I read the most delicious news a few minutes ago. Rialto Pictures is reviving Godard's Contempt in a nice new restored 35mm print. I am in heaven. John Ewing if your out there I expect this to appear in the May-June Cleveland Cinematheque schedule. Between March 14th and the 27th the great Film Forum in New York will be playing it. I am so jealous. Maybe I should make a trek to New York early this year. I wonder if I can pull some strings and get this baby in the Canton Palace Theatre in the new month or two. For the silly folks that don't know, I will fill you in. Not only is Jean-Luc Godard one of my favorite directors of all time, but Contempt is one of my favorite films. So you can understand my excitement to see this thing on the big screen.

No comments: