Monday, January 23, 2006

So I couldn't resist. I had to watch the trailer for Bandidas. Its a new western lead by Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz and co-starring Dwight Yoaka, (who I believe is a pretty damn good part-time actor). You would at least think that it would be at least a fun movie, right? Man was I wrong. This trailer is awful. It really has to be seen to believe. I am sorry I wasted to minutes of your life but I figure since I did, you may as well too.

I was so excited when I looked in my mailbox today. I saw a package! I knew it was one of two things. Either my copy of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance or the new Death of Anna Karina cd I ordered from Italy. Well it is "New Liberalistic Pleasures" the new album from a crazy new band out of Italy and it is soo freakin' good. These guys are not for all taste but if you are pretty open to new and original music as don't mind a little yelling and out of tune vocals, man is it awesome. Probably the closest comparisons would be Song of Zarathustra, JR Ewing and Refused. Great stuff if you ask me and it was only 12 euros with shipping (that translates to a little under 15 bucks). Hopefully my Sympathy for Lady Vengeance will arrive in a few days. I am dying to watch the other version of the film. In Korea, it was released two ways: one in all color while another cut consisted of the ending slowly fading to black and white. The version I saw was all in color.

My buddy Nate asked me today if I ever watch any American films anymore. I got a kick out of that. I guess everything I seem to review on here is foreign lately. So I will try to watch a variety this week. One of which will most likely be The Aristocrats, a film I have been dying to see but never got a chance to. It comes out on dvd tomorrow so that will definitely be a renter.

Speaking of renting, I Netflixed Switchblade Sisters the other day and the dvd was full of Jack Hill trailers. If you don't know, Jack Hill was the king of exploitation films and more importantly blaxploitation. He is the man behind the Pam Grier classics Coffy and Foxy Brown along with a hand full of others usually featuring Grier or Sid Haig (Captain Spaulding of House of 1000 corpse and The Devil's Rejects). The trailers were great! They make me want to by the Fox in a Box collectors set featuring a trio of Grier movies (two of which are the films I just mentioned).

Well I guess I will getting going for now. By the way I think I need to bring back my films recommendations I started at my other blog. I promise I will do that on my next post.

No comments: