Monday, March 20, 2006

Just got done watching one powerhouse of a film. But before I go ahead, I would like to back track a few steps. During the late 80's and all through the 90's, Hong Kong cinema was on fire. Matter of fact, my first love of international film (others than a handful of Italian horror films) came by way of Chinese cinema. I am about to mention a best kept secret....I used to be a huge Jean Claude Van Damme fan.

Okay, I am glad that is out of my system, we all can sleep better now.

Anyways, luck for me, I was introduced to John Woo in the early 90s thanks to the Muscles from Brussels (sorry again, I just couldn't resist). From their on it was all over. Everything out of Hong Kong I fell in love with. Slowly but surely, I expanded to other parts of the world of film, Spanish films, French films, Italian films, you name it. To be honest Mr. Tarantino himself, turned my on two great things thanks to his now-defunct distribution company Rolling Thunder, Wong Kar Wai's Chungking Express and Takeshi Kitano's Sontaine. Wong Kar Wai is now one of my favorite directors of all time and Kitano, also one of my favorites, was a great introduction to Japanese cinema. Wong Kar Wai also turned me on to Jean Luc Godard (who has highly influenced Wong Kar Wai) and we all know how highly I respect that director.

But something happened with Hong Kong films...they kinda died. It seemed that the only thing I would watch from their would be a Wong Kar Wai film (which if you are a fan of the man means every 3 or 4 years) or from time to time a good Tony Leung Chi Wai starrer. Nothing really was all that impressive until Infernal Affairs (possibly one of the greatest films out of Asia ever). Recently Korean and Japanese film has been far more successful on all levels than any out of Hong Kong. After Infernal Affairs, came SPL, a nice welcome return, but still not comparable to the other. Until now.


Like I said at the beginning, I just got done watching a pretty powerful film, Election. The film follows the Chairman selection process as two triad (the Chinese Mafia) leaders struggle with each other to head the Wo Sing Society. Matter of fact, the one Chairman is elected rather early in the film (in the first 15 minutes), that's not really what this film is about. Its about the war between them and how they must do what has to be done to stay on top and stay true to their name. The last 30 minutes of this film is right now of a Scorese film. And I don't mean this in a negative way, I think that the director, Johnnie To, has definitely done justice to the genre. It is truly some powerful stuff, especially the ending that really sets you up to wanting to see more (ironically the sequel comes out next month in Hong Kong). My only complaint is that I wish it was longer. I really wanted to see more of what was happening among these people. Do yourself a favor and check this film out please. Its not out state side as of yet but do some internet soul searching (by clicking on the image above) or check your local Chinatown. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

No comments: