Friday, March 17, 2006

We just got back from Cleveland and I have to say I am pretty satisfied. The documentary we watch, Abduction: The Megumi Yokota Story was heartbreaking. God, it was so well crafted. For those that don't know what the hell has been going on in Japan for the last 20 years or so I will try to fill you in. Starting back in the late '70s, North Korea began to kidnap Japanese citizens to bring to their country to teach Koreans how to be Japanese. Over the years North Korean has admitted to kidnap 13 Japanese and 5 have since been returned back to Japan. The others North Korea claims have died. One of which was Megumi Yokota, a 13 year old girl. This is her story ( along with information about the others). Its a very sad story but it was something I am very glad that I saw. Chiaki has been telling me about ever since 2002 (when the 5 Japanese were finally returned home) but the film really helped me in learning even more. It truly is a film everyone needs to see. I wish it would be nominated for an Academy Award this year so that the mainstream audience can discover it. I will be pushing hard for this film to play at the Canton Palace Theatre this year. This is really powerful stuff.

No comments: