Sunday, March 26, 2006

So my vacation is over and I am kinda sad. It was great while it lasted. Caught mostly great films over the last week My film festival venture included the Italian film Quo Vadis, Baby, which was pretty damn disappointing despite a very promising lead actress and Midnight, My Love, a great little quirky romance from Thailand with a whole lotta originality. I will definitely try to hunt for that as soon as it reaches dvd somewhere. The best film I caught from the fest was a great western starring Guy Pearce out of Australia entitled The Proposition. And man was it violent as hell. Really reminding me of some of the great spaghetti westerns. Hopefully this thing gets released with all the scenes intacted but at press time it is questionable. When it comes around, and I know it will, everyone should really check it out. I have a feeling it will stack up well with the rest of the great films released this year.

I also caught some mainstream flicks over the past week: V for Vendetta and Inside Man. If I had to choose the better film the ball would definitely be in Spike Lee's court, however don't get me wrong V for Vendetta is still one hell of a ride. Lee's Inside Man just really seemed to have more of a "what the hell is going to happen next" factor.

Some good stuff comes out this Tuesday if you a horror fan. Cigarette Burns, the John Carpenter episode of the Masters of Horror series, along with four Giallo films from the 70's. I am definitely picking up the former and really want to also pick up at least one of the Italian horror films. I guess we will see how bad it damages my wallet.

No comments: