Sunday, April 02, 2006

So Chiaki and I just got back from checkin' out Slither. Not too bad. Overall, a pretty fun movie a nice mixture of comedy and gore. Entertaining stuff. You see I have a problem though. Every genre film I watch as of late I keep coming back to comparing it to Hostel, which ruins the whole thing cause I love Hostel with a passion. So even though a film horror film might be pretty good it just doesn't live up with Eli Roth's film. After saying that, if you want to see some great gross out gore, check out Slither.

Back to Cache, which I ended up seening last Thursday. Man was it great. Its one of those great films that may piss a lot of people of for several reasons. One of which is the fact that it is often slow movie but builds up the more it goes. The other reason it may bug people is that it doesn't tie everything up at the end. To me, that is two things I actually loved about it. In my opinion it doesn't need to tell me what really happens, its just so powerful with out even knowing. I could care less. I really need to check out more films by Michael Haneke. The other day, my friend Jason asked me how Cache was and I told him it was excellent and that it doesn't leave you with a completely resolved ending, which I loved. He told me that a previous film of Haneke's called Code Unknown does the same thing so we came to the conclusion that this must be a common theme in his work. So I will shut up about it and just plain recommend it to anyone who really wants to experience a great film from a very promising French director.

If you are really open to some fun no budget horror films from Ohio you all should really check out this site. My friends Aaron and Jason are solely responsible for what lies ahead, which is a great trip to watch if you have a few minutes free. Right now they only have two films to their name but are working on a handful more in the not to distant future. Really, take some time out of your busy schedules and visit their site. You will have some fun.

The horror convention this weekend was a blast. I spent a little more money than I planned (I swear their was a little devil around my shoulder that kept on pushing me to buy more....I swear), but that happens when your having to much of a good time.

Here is what was involved in the damage to my wallet:

- Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (this baby retails for 25 bucks and I got it used for 10)

- a great set of giallo films from NoShame Films entitled The Luciano Ercoli Death Box Set, which even comes housed with a cool ass soundtrack

- a film I have praised before on this blog and will continue to praise now that I got my grubby hands on a copy, the one and only El Topo

I also went in half and half with my buddy Aaron on a copy of the new Dario Argento flick Do you like Hitchcock?, which is you guessed it, an homage to one of the greats. I really have been dying to get my hands on this film and am anticipating my first viewing. Speaking of Argento, two great newsworthy truths have come out of late about one of my favorites. One of which is the fact that he will finally be working on The Third Mother a long in the works conclusion to a trilogy of his films which started with Suspiria, continued with Inferno, and will finally come to an end with this film. The other great thing that Argento has talked about recently is his promise to return to more surreal films ala his greats from the 80's. Very good news if you are fans of his work.

Well I am sure I am forget a lot of things I wanted to ramble about but nonetheless I will save it for another time. Until then...

No comments: