Sunday, May 21, 2006

Caught a few flicks over the weekend. The first was The Da Vinci Code.I assumed the film would be a big critically applauded film which would garner all the nods come Oscar time. Then the reviews came. And man did they stink. Matter of fact out of about 30 reviews from top of the line critics only about 3 liked the film. So my hopes as the day dragged along were slowly dropping. Then it came time for the film. And we like it. Chiaki and I enjoyed it a lot actually. Granted neither of us have ever read the novel but still it was a well made film with a great cast. It actually makes me want to read the book and the other novel Brown wrote which deals with a lot of the same things called Demons and Angels. Some of the critics made reference to the film as Hanks worst of his career. I just don't get it. The whole cast was entertaining as hell, at least in my opinion.

Speaking of entertaining as hell, we just got back from catch Lucky Number Slevin at the dollar theater, and damn was it great. Definitely has some Guy Ritchie undertones (granted it was directed by Paul McGuigan, a Ritchie clone), if that's your thing, but I think it has so much more than that in store. Some of it is predictable, yeah, but it throws in enough twist towards the end that at least you won't know everything single think that happens. Many people may get tired of the whole twist after twist ending but we both found it highly entertaining. And man, look at the cast: Bruce Willis, Josh Hartnett , Lucy Liu , Morgan Freeman , Ben Kingsley , Stanley Tucci. I mean really, you can't go wrong here. Lucy Liu, in my opinion was the most enjoyable performance out of the bunch because it finally gave her the perky, adorable female role, instead of the total badass roles she usually gets typecast into playing. Definitely worth a buck to see (hell it was even worth full admission) and I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for a clever fun fast-paced movie.

No comments: