Saturday, May 20, 2006

So Cannes has been going on for a few days now. Wish I was there. Man, do I. Anyways some good stuff is playing in and out of competition as always. Wong Kar Wai is at the head of the jury this year so it should be an interesting award ceremony. Speaking of Wong Kar Wai I found this pick on line of a promo billboard for his next project he is starting soon, My Blueberry Nights.

In case your wondering who that is in the picture, it is Norah Jones, of all people and yes she he playing the lead. Other cast members are still in the rumor stage, however, most have been claiming that Rachel Weisz and Jude Law may also star. It will be Wong Kar Wai's first feature length English language film (that is if you count his BMW short film). I have high hopes for this one (if you know me well, you know my obsessions with Wong Kar Wai).

So back to the films at Cannes this year. In competition we have Pedro Almodovar's Volver, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's Babel (probably my most anticipated film of the year), Richard Kelly's Southland Tales, Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, and Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth. Those are the films I am really curious about in competition. On the other hand in either the out-of-competition or un certain regard sections of the festival we have more films I would kill to see including Johnnie To's Election 2 and the anthology film several years in the making Je T'aime. The latter film consists of 5 minute films each shot in different sects of France from such world renown directors as Walter Salles, Gus Van Sant, Tom Tykwer, The Coen Brothers, Olivier Assayas, Alfonso Cuaron, Alexander Payne, and Christopher Doyle. I have been waiting for this ever since I have heard about it almost 3 years ago.

They are even screening restored versions of both El Topo and The Holy Mountain in a tribute to Alejandro Jodorowsky. Also supposed at the Festivities even though its no where to be found on the website is the new Kim Ki Duk film Time.

So there you have it, a rather wide range of films I would have loved to check out if I was rich and could travel to France to the Cannes Film Festival (I swear I will go before I die). This stuff is just at first glance too. The more I look at the website the more things I find.

No comments: