Sunday, May 07, 2006

I know its been over a week and I promised there would be more posts and less time in between. Sorry. Who really reads this anyway?

So if you know me well, you know I have a soft spot for Tom Cruise so had to check out Mission Impossible 3 on opening weekend. So I drag Chiaki on Saturday afternoon to avoid the annoying Friday night crowd. So what did I think, you ask? Come on, what do you think. I loved it. Honestly, I think its a hell of a start for the summer and the best of the three films in the series thus far. I won't dive into details and all that boring stuff, but I will let you know that Chiaki was very tired of all Cruise's public appearance and really didn't want to see the film but came out absolutely loving it. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was evil as hell in the film too. He took the more sinister route instead of the over the top cheese of a villain and it worked out great for the film. A brilliant performance.

Also finally checked out my Elevator to the Gallows. Man, please go out and buy this or at least rent it. If you call yourself a film fan at all you really need to see this. Director Louis Malle never touched this genre after this film (which was his first) but could have truly made a living out of it. A French Hitchcockian film about murder, jealousy, mistaken identity, love and lost hope. So much a head of its time really. Also noteworthy is the amazing soundtrack, entirely composed by Miles Davis. I am in the process of digging this one up as we speak.

So you may be wondering what the hell is Aaron listening to nowadays. What albums have blown him away. I know I don't talk about music much on here but if you know me, you know I have a pretty damn wide range of music taste. Granted lately, I have filled my head with some pretty chaotic stuff, but that's not everyday stuff. I do have love for just about anything (others than country of course, what do you think I'm crazy). As long as your orginial and different, I can really dig it (the main reason why country doesn't appeal to me, in my opinion, it all sounds the same....ignorance is bliss).

As far as this year goes already there are at least two extreme good records out. The first, which has heavy rotation in my car since its release almost a month ago, is the new Built to Spill record. Man, is this record awesome. Their first album in almost 5 years is definitely some of the band best work. Even if you are not an indie rocker you really should check out their stuff. The latest record You in Reverse, almost feels like a classic rock record with its great guitar riffs and 70's sound. One of my all time favorite tunes by the band is "You were Right" from their '99 release Keep it Like a Secret, which mixed in famous classic rock lyrics to make a killer track. It seems like they took the band one step forward with this idea and brought it to a whole new level. Amazing record my favorite by far this year so far.

Another record, which matter of fact is in my player right now, is the new Mogwai album, Mr. Beast. Always know for being a great mellow band, whose lyrics never matter seem to matter as much as the beautiful music, hit the new record out of the park. I will admit, I haven't followed them much since their amazing album Rock Action from '01, but when I heard that the singer of Envy was on one of the tracks I figured I would check the album out. Man, am I lucky I did. Really great stuff here. Check it out.

Others than that I have been jamming to the Bloc Party full length for a while now (one of the best albums from last year) and when in Chiaki's car The Postal Service record (I know its way old but damn if its still not a great record years later).

But for those who really want to check out a great band you should really listen to some Death from Above (I refused to call them by their new name since signing to Vice Death From Above 1979, which was changed because they were being sued by the label DFA).


A great band out of Canada that I have been listening to for a good 3 years now. If you are not familiar with them they are a two piecer made up only of a bass and drums (the drummer, Sebastien, sings most of the time). There roots originally started as crazy synth-laced hardcore but has progressed into something even more amazing. Their latest release which consists mostly remixes and a few b-sides is some of my favorite stuff by them. And my favorite record from last year (yes, a remix album, a type of record which I normally don't like to begin with, topped my best of '05). Jesse, the bassist, also has to great side projects, Femme Fatale, a band who hasn't at all drop their hardcore roots over over three eps and I am glad they haven't, and a remix group entitled MSTRKRFT which are finally releasing their first record next month. Please, as I always say, do yourself a favor and check out their stuff.

Alright, enough for now. As always, I will try to update a lot more often even though only about four people read this (you know I love you guys!).

No comments: